Summer Leadership Institute
July 3-10, 2013, Whittier College, Los Angeles, CA
The IAAB Lend a HAND Fellowship program honors distinguished university students and provides resources to those who propose a unique idea as to how to meet the needs of their local community. The IAAB Lend a HAND Fellowship recognizes the strong commitment to public service and allows Fellows to develop and implement a program benefiting their local community.
Fellowship Eligibility Requirements:
In order to be eligible for the IAAB Lend a HAND Fellowship, applicants must be currently enrolled at an American university and must be of Central Asian (Persian-speaking Afghan, Tajik, Uzbek) or Iranian descent. Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to public service and civic participation, and must inspire others to make service a central part of their lives. If selected, applicants must be willing to attend IAAB’s Summer Leadership Institute where they will receive in-depth training and guidance that will support them in developing and implementing their project.
Fellows will receive:
- In-depth training at IAAB’s Summer Leadership Institute. HAND Foundation will cover the costs of the program tuition.
- Stipend to cover the costs of the project. Applicants may apply for a specific amount not to exceed $1000.
- Training and guidance to support the planning and implementation of the project.
- Opportunities to participate in special events for current Fellows and Alumni.
- Mentorship from experts within a specific field of interest.
- Recognition, which will include a featured article within various Iranian publications describing the fellow’s achievements.
Ideal candidates should:
- Be undergraduate or graduate students of Central Asian (Persian-speaking Afghan, Tajik, Uzbek) or Iranian descent.
- Be motivated and proactive individuals in good academic standing
- Have a proven track record as leaders on-campus or within their communities
- Display a strong commitment to the proposed project’s goal through related courses and/or activities
How to Apply:
In order to be considered for the IAAB Lend a HAND fellowship program, applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, two references, and a project proposal. The project proposal must include:
- A detailed explanation of the project
- The project's goals
- The project's target audience
- The project's timeframe
- The project's budget
- The stipend amount for which the applicant is applying
Social entrepreneurship is a fundamental value of the HAND Foundation and has historically led to successful community-based initiatives. Therefore, preference will be given to project proposals that incorporate self-sustaining funding models and/or diverse fundraising strategies.
Email all documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Finalists will be asked to submit a 1-3 minute video and a written application as a part of the selection process.